View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 10:28 AM

Earlier this year I got the first pair of headphones since I kicked my Koss Pro 4/a's to the curb a long time ago.

They are LCD-4's.

I got them to not disturb Kelly when she is sleeping because our listening areas are fairly open to the rest of the house.

It has been a very 'interesting' listening experience.

They are super low distortion - always very clear. They let me listen 'inside' the music to fine details that are there but not as obvious with my speakers.

They are super hi-fi. As others have said it would take a lot of $$$ to come close to this quality of reproduction in a normal 2 channel system.

The room is no longer a factor. What is weird is that I can now 'hear' the room much more clearly when I listen to my speakers. I didn't expect that.

The imaging is different. Everything is pretty close to my head, but it does extend outside of my ears, which is pretty cool. I understand this doesn't happen with most headphones

I get this wide and deep soundstage with my speakers that headphones just don't duplicate.

I imagine that with some great dsp this issue can be ameliorated. Audeze has a nice plug in, but it adds room sound, and that's not what I really want.

I find it odd to be 'tethered'.

Overall I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the great headphone options out there today.

We're in the middle of a headphone renaissance and I'm really enjoying the experience, even though it is completely different that listening to speakers.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v