View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Hi Serge-

Last fall I purchased a BDP3 to replace a 2010 MacBook Pro. The MacBk was dedicated only as a music server with un-needed "regular" functions shut off. It had with 8 gigs of RAM, an SSD and Amarra. Using Toslink or USB, the sound was very good with the nod going to USB most of the time. The original CD's still sounded better.

Moving to the BDP3, the sound is at least as good as the CD spinner. In fact, all CD's have been ripped and packed away. I still have the spinner set up but rarely use it. Being so pleased with the BDP3 and the customer service at Bryston, I purchased a BDA3 a month later. So yes, the BDP3 is better than laptop.

I would suggest you rip your CD's in the AIFF format. It will require more gigs than FLAC but with storage so cheap these days why not have the "RAW" file? An album is approximately 500 to 650 gigs ripped to 16/44. Downloaded "Hi-Rez" stuff will take more space but that's another issue with much debate and controversy.
Hi John,

Thank you for your input. I followed your advices and did two things:

1- I started re-ripping my very modest selection of CD (about 120 albums) in AIFF format. I agree with you, storage is no longer a concern, neither is the download speeds these days. Long gone the time I was downloading .mp3 files on Naspster on dial-up 56K at a whooping 5 kb/s!

2- While the BDP-3 is out of my price range for now, I found a mint BDP-2 with the upgraded IAD in another province. I know that down the road, I can send it back to Bryston and have the BDP-3 upgrade so this will do perfectly for the time being. Aside my very modest Chromecast Audio, this will be my first real venture in computer based audio with a DAC on a hi-fi 2 channels setup. I plan to use Roon and add a 2 Tb SSD inside the BDP-2 for best access and sound quality. For sure the CCA is the limiting factor in the equation here. I will download the free trial of Roon to see if my rips were correctly tagged.

Serge