View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 03:21 AM

Thumbs up They certainly would look good in a rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
I debated this for a long time. At the time Oppo announced that it was closing I had
the Oppo BDP-105 which served me well, playing any disc (then) and do Netflix and
Vudu streaming. I got it before the Darbee versions 105D and 103D came out.

When the news broke, I decided to get the UDP-205 on the spot since there was not
going to be a 8K version coming (rumoured if I recall) or anything else after the closure.
I wanted to have the best blu-ray player with an abundance of connectivity. However,
I was torn that it had no streaming capabilities, but I understood they they were
sacrificed for audio quality.

At some point with both the 105 and 205 in house, I decided to part with the 105
and search for a well cared 103D. The reasoning was that if I was using one for audio
I would pick the 205 and the older brother for video streaming, and preferably with the
extra Darbee hardware. So far, I think they compliment each other well.

Additionally, I got the Amazon Fire that I connect to the HDMI input at the back of
the 103 and I have even more streaming options. Then I use the HDMI input at the back
of the 205 connected directly from the 103D.

What I'm trying to say is that it was really hard to decide on one unit. By having both,
I am set with all the connectivity without sacrificing features. I also can rip SACD
with the 103D, so I'm covered there too.

Since you own the 203 already, perhaps you could get the 105D to complement it.
Or, if the price is hard to justify, get a 103D instead. Both have about the same height
and they will certainly look cool together.
Piolaxo..... Although they would certainly make a cute couple, the Mrs. probably wouldn't be so enamored with having both of them. The 105D is already in route, so I'm trying to get some input(s) from the board to help pick one over the other...but, so far, the benefits we will get with the 105D look pretty good to me. Thanks for the post.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections