View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Yes I do. My argument is, even with less low frequency demands, a flea-powered amp can only do so much. I'm sure the boosted lower frequencies will help, but only on the 180-200 Hz realm. I'm afraid there may be an imbalance biased toward the 180-200 Hz when facing passages with high demand peaks across a wide frequency range distribution.

I may be wrong, since I have yet to try this approach, which otherwise sounds promising.
No hard evidence, but logic tells me that more power is available for the > 180Hz frequencies than if the amp is run full range. Your fear that, if I read you accurately, output would sag > 180 with high demand passages would bias the FR towards the low end if true. I don't experience that when listening though.

Maybe semantics, but I don't consider the low end "boosted" in my system. I've worked to blend my mid-woofs and sub-woofs well with the mains filtered out where they do their work. I would call it boosted if the mains were full range and I added subs on top of that.

All of this depends on overall listening volume level however. I tend to keep the bulk of the levels at around 80db at the listening position. Of course, peaks occur higher. But if I were to listen at, say, 95db, then peaks would be higher still and my experience may not hold at those levels.

Last edited by pstrisik; 08-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.