View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
In my case I use Rythmik Audio servo subs. This arrangement allows the use of subwoofer drivers (4 x 8" in my case) with much light cones. Normally, the lightweight cones would offer deep bass, but the servo amp controls the cone motion. The result is a "fast" (i.e., responsive) bass system that can not only provide the same apparent speed as lightweight main drivers (such as in your Tektons and my Omegas) but also cross over higher to help fill in the midbass. I can run my Omega Super Alnico Monitors crossed over to stereo Rythmik subwoofers as high as 200hz.
If I understand this correctly, the servo amp uses feedback from the mains' motion pattern to imitate (follow) the same motion pattern in the Subwoofer cones ... It is a first-order control system (Process Output Feedback loop and Correction Function). Very nice!

Evidently, the SUB driver cones have to be very light to overcome the physical inertia of typical heavier SUB drivers, otherwise the servo amp would never be able to control the frequencies involved. I'll need to check Rythmik again (I was told about these some time ago, although not in this particular context). Thanks!