View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I need to thank you for an excellent suggestion! When you explained how it works, I was convinced, at least on paper, but I really dig it now that I've been using it. It is the single most effective way of improving both seamless low frequencies and improved overall performance in the Amp. It also does not seem to bring any unwanted noises or to limit the original signal in a perceptible way.

6BL7, never heard of it. I know it could replace the 6SN7 in our amps, but not too popular since these are quite rare NOS's. I think I'll follow your suggestion this time around too
You're welcome. I really see no other way of running my inspire with less efficient speakers, as well as being able to use NOS EL34's & new KT77's without feeling like they run out of steam. It also allows me to use 6V6's too with great sonic performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I see. That's the way to go .

I'll be trying the larger tubes (6550 / KT-88) with the filters this weekend. I don't expect as much benefit with those, but who knows. Hopefully their over-boldness from the PRE's boost in the signal path will be reduced by not having to deal with those first 100 Hz.
Try the KT120's and even KT150's (with the Fmods) and you will be rewarded with very good tonality without being overly bold.

The 6BL7 is a good substitute for the 6BX7 in the LP-27a and can be used to further refine a tube combo in the inspire amp. You may hate them, but cheap enough to try. Heck, if you'd like, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one.

Meanwhile... I've been in PP, Ultralinear, and Unity Coupled Paradise for the last few weeks.

If you want to see what I've been listening to I have a thread over on AudioKarma about a High End, Heavy Iron Amp Off. We'll be doing a v2.0 that will include my Inspires vs vintage Japanese SET amps as well as some others mentioned.