View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Looking over the Psvane 6SN7 options. They make a white base 6SN7, a black base UK-6SN7, a CV-181 T Black, a CV-181 T Mark II Classic Grade, a CV-181 T Mark II Premium Grade. Perhaps more. They are all 6SN7 tubes and have the same specs. Makes one wonder how much difference there really is between them. One can't easily compare the structures, for several of them have coatings.

Then there are the Shuguang 6SN7 and CV-181 tubes, which have a very similar appearance to the Psvane tubes, same shape. Made in the same factory. Said to be different, but who knows? They always say that. The Psvane T Mk II claims to weigh 10% more than the Shuguang Treasure, which might indicate there are real differences. Or maybe the base is heavier.

I know some of the Russian tubes bearing different brands such as Sovtek, Tung-Sol, Mullard, Genalex and more, are essentially the same tubes. Others are very different. There is a lot of marketing going on out there. Profit margins can be way higher if a company can convince people there is an audible difference. Sometimes they alter the production line to use a thicker glass envelope, then raise the price by $20.
Bombadil, you simply cannot judge a tubes sound by looks, internet myth, and it does not matter that they are from the same factory. I can say with certainty that the Shuguang and Psvane CV-181 and 6SN7 tubes I have do sound distinctly different.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 04-29-2017 at 09:19 AM.