View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
Scott, By "phono stage", you mean the built in SUT? I'm under the impression that even the Hommage is run through the VR's phono stage. I'm running a Dynavector 20X2L into the MC input of the VR and not wanting for anything. The relatively inexpensive 20X2L is spectacular with the VR's Lundahl SUT.

I'm curious about the Hommage, but don't know about it's synergy with the Dynavector line. I was attracted to the Vosne Romanee in part for it's outstanding phono stage and built in SUT. It surpasses my expectations.

Bill
Yes, I mean built in SUT. IMO, the Hommage betters the Lundahl in the VR. At the price points of the VR and Giscours it would be nice if we did not have to go out and get a separate 3rd party product to experience the best sound.

That being said, you are correct that everything depends on the cartridge you are using. I have primarily been using a Koetsu (Onyx Platinum) and like the top of the line Hashimoto SUT as much as the Hommage (at less than 1/2 the price) and more than the VR's internal SUT. However, my understanding is that the Shindo's have been "voiced" using SPU type cartridges and almost everyone I know who has used an SPU type cartridge with a Shindo preamp prefers the 3rd party Hommage over the internal preamp transformer.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Dynavector - to date I have not used one.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion