View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Well Tom, that’s what I was thinking too, but it hasn’t worked out like that....
My room sounds very good, but the dimensions make low bass virtually impossible. I was shocked at how little deep extended bass I was getting , so much so I was worried. I’ve done measurements before and after, and without subwoofers, it just doesn’t happen. This is the third pair of loudspeakers I’ve had in here and it’s been the same result with all of them, no subwoofers, no bass. Now of course I’m talking about sub 38 Hz or so, from there up it’s smooth as silk. There’s nothing unusual about my dimensions with the exception of the ceiling.....it’s a tray ceiling probably about 25 feet tall.....I have to think that has something to do with it. I used a mic to measure response out of the Avalons about a foot away just to make sure.....it was virtually flat down to about 25 Hz, so I guess it’s the room I’m in unless someone else has any
Other ideas, but I’ve covered pretty much all my bases.

I spoke to Jim Smith a couple of days ago, I figured I might as well spend a few bucks to make sure everything is a-ok so he may try and come out this week to evaluate everything. Man it’s nice he lives 20 minutes from here! I’m lucky considering he’s probably voiced over 1000 rooms in his career. Believe it or not, even he has never heard a pair of Isis, so looking forward to his impressions. Anyway, my final step may be to get GIK to come on out as well....they’re local as well here on the NE side of Atlanta! and see if there’s anything else. Go big or go home I guess.

- Buck
Buck,..IMHO, the tray ceiling is the culprit plus it is 25 feet tall...Smith should definitely be able to nail things down for you. RELs will prove to be necessary but you will probably have to treat that celing...I have known a couple other guys who faced the same problem with designed rooms that had little bass even with massive speakers, separate sub towers, etc...but looked perfect and beautiful. Fancy ceilings were part of the problem each time, 1 room even designed by Rives and supposedly perfect at the start...