View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 AM

He lost me on the suggestion of running a high x-over up to 125hz next to the mains.
Implying the JL plays better then some of the most expensive speakers.
We spoke many times and I tried it in my HT room.
I tried it, but the sound of my McIntosh speakers went down hill (To my cauliflower ear, opinion). It killed the notes air and decay.
JL's Manvill (sp) got me back on track for my HT room. (70 to 80 hz)

I did/do, enjoy reading his blog, for new ideas/ and out of the box thinking.

Carls partial blog below if interested on the high x-over pluses. Below

"Most often I have found myself using a crossover point of 100Hz but on rare occasions I have gone as high as 125Hz utilizing a JL Audio f112 sub. I use any number of quality satellite, electrostatic or full-range main speakers depending on application and budget. Most importantly, I co-locate a JL Audio subwoofer with each respective main speaker. Ideally the sub is on the same plane as the main speaker’s baffle (although not necessary) and I fine-tune the phase relationship between the sub and main speaker and with the phase control on the JL Audio sub to get a seamless blend. This approach requires two things specifically, they must be JL Audio subwoofers because of their extraordinary performance and secondly, two subwoofers must be used. Lastly, they must be located close to their respective main speakers and only in the front of the room. This will make the subwoofer behave as part of the main speaker becoming a true hybrid of the sat/sub approach and the full-range speaker approach. We have taken the best of both philosophies and thrown-out the shortcomings associated with each in common practices. I will be posting plenty of information on subwoofer placement in other articles and covering both the attributes of using two subs and the need for keeping them exclusively at the front of the room. For now you will just have to take my word for it. I doubt that anyone has more time in on this subject than I do and, I know that this works best for the vast majority of high-end applications. Can you find rare exceptions to this rule? Of course, almost everything has an exception.
"

If this worked for someone else please let me know?
Thanks

Last edited by KingRT; 06-03-2009 at 12:18 AM.