View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 AM

7" drivers may be able to produce a low 35 hz note, but it cannot do it loudly in an oversized room, open on one end to a hall.

I've dragged the speaker on sliders back and forth, reflex ports in, then reflex ports out, I even paid a local company that specializes in Master Set. He spent about 10 hours across two days setting my speakers up. Day one was 2 channel and my subs, day 2 was spent on my center, surround, and reprogramming distances into my MX122 to make the surround timing sound correct.
The master set guy was able to get bass improvement, it was just still unacceptable without subs. In a small room I'd go as far to say O3 is bass heavy, and I love it. In those normal or small room environments like RMAF hotel rooms I wouldn't even think of adding a sub. It just doesn't need it.

I also asked a Sonus Faber exec who told me about speaker placement, then followed with there is no replacement for displacement. I'm going to need to move more air.

If I were to guess what's happening, the bass isn't able to fill a huge room but the treble is bouncing off long walls, ceiling, and glass windows further exaggerating the lack of bass. Even with 2 powered subs, a 1000 sq ft room open on one side is tough to fill.