View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 03:24 AM

Assuming this is a serious thread with some injected humor regarding plants, I have always felt that speakers make the most difference. Next amps/preamp, sources, and finally cables. I kept my MIT Z-Systems (Stabilizers, Z-Center, ISO Duo, Z-Cords) for 25 years and my Kimber Kable Copper Select cables, interconnects, and Palladian PK10 power cord for about 15 years for this reason. I believe that a fine quality copper cable/power cord made by Shunyata or Kimber for example will provide most on this website with the quality they need to get 98% out of their systems. I believe cables are the least important provided they are well made by a competent manufacturer. However, if you are going to own extremely expensive equipment it makes sense to me to upgrade to cables, interconnects, power conditioners, and power cords of commensurate quality, of your choice and taste of course. What I don't agree with is a position that holds that a particular cable is way superior to all others. For example, I am sure the Shunyata Sigma USB cable is a very very fine cable, certainly the best USB at present. But does it represent some major breakthrough that will transform my stereo system over my AQ Diamond or a comparable Wire World? Nope and it would be totally out of place in my all AQ system. Finally, there is I believe such a thing as "cable envy" as manifested by folks that steadfastly maintain that a "20 dollar" cable is all you need. Seriously, I think if you believe that you should at least get fine quality copper cabling (made by Shunyata for example), power cords, interconnects, conditioners, etc and let that be that. You will get no argument from me that your are not receiving 98-99% of the best out of your system. I actually agree there is little point in spending 100 grand on cabling. Having said that I totally enjoy all my AQ and would do it again in an instant.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 06-11-2019 at 03:37 AM.