View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 01:06 PM
That's a Deusy !

Talking An afternoon with John Gannon OLED calibration

A few Saturdays ago I was at my wits end. I had just purchased a LG oled and a Marantz AV8802a . I was getting ghosting, blurring and an overall underwhelming picture. I went online, called a few dealers and finally got a few contact numbers. After talking with a few folks I settled on John. John came over that morning with his own blu ray player ( as my then player works when it wants to) . I guess I wasn't thinking but it was the same John Gannon who was with Stereophile, TAS and TPV. John first calibrated just by eye . He then busted out some disks with test patterns. He cleaned everything as far as the ghosting and blur and the adjusted my speakers. He didn't like how my rear speakers sounded(see signature below) so he re wired the polarity
and remounted them upside down. He then re ran Audessy . Everything sounds and looks great !

I never thought calibration would make a difference... I was under the impression that TVs are now great out of the box....boy was I wrong
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003