Thread: Subs for Salon2
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 01:54 PM

Hi Rex!

The room is decent and measures well but of course most domestic rooms present problems that make treatment and/or compromise a necessity. My colleague, Ken Bleecher, ( formerly with Harman, now with Panasonic) was over last weekend with his SMAART suite. It was he who suggested moving the speakers closer to the wall after a quick measurement of the room and some critical listening. After his assessment and having schlepped the things back to the wall I had to agree that the LF response was considerably enhanced. Since my last post a couple of days ago, I've had more time to listen to the things in their new location and I'm starting to think that my initial placement (using Revel's suggestions and rules of thumb) was off the mark in my specific situation. Or perhaps I misinterpreted them. In any event, I'm getting used to the differences and starting to like them but more tweaking may be required. I'm not in the "near near" field as I was when I originally settled on a position further into the room but as I get accustomed to the new location, it's been growing on me. I chalk it up to my belief that a little cut and try is inevitable when a room is not designed from scratch.

Regarding SMAART: Sam Berkow is a friend and former colleague although I've never met Thorny Thornton. I'm pleased to see you are aware of the work that has ensued as the concepts have been developed by SIA and the ensuing owners. I was a contractor for Harman in the early days when SIA was associated with JBL. I can both accept and endorse your recommendations and encourage others who might be interested in precision acoustical measurement tools, albeit they were initially designed with larger spaces than mine in mind.

I've recently purchased a moderately compatible app (junior program, you might say) that has a SMAART compatible module (Audio Tools). I hope this low cost solution can do well enough for me as I play around.

I have not done anything in respect to low frequency absorption. That's a possibility for the future. I will continue to update this thread as I reach new conclusions and I'm happy to have comments and suggestions like yours included here.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Pampero; 10-30-2016 at 02:01 PM.