View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Hi Philip

I have got the MX-R's at home ATM. Can't say I am a Ayre fan, or any ss amp however open to be convinced. Then again up to recently I was not a Wilson fan either. There are incredibly smooth and go loud effortlessly. They are a little reserved sounding currently. That will be effected by 3 things. They are brand new, I am running them SE and my cj pre amp has zero grain and is a little laid back.

I have cd on repeat on a low volume when not listening, so hopefully later this week they will open up a bit more. They should be around 100 hours by then.

I will never listen to the mono momentums as I cannot afford them. The stereo will be a stretch but very keen to try them. Again, they will be as new so not run in. Philip, I hope you are right in them being a turbo charge MX-R.

I just wonder whether they can drive and control my Maxx3's at LOUD volumes. Lower volumes will not be a problem.

Cheers

Cheers
Shane,

Unlike the MAXX 3, the Sasha W/P is probably the more fussier of the two speakers with its amplifier-testing impedance minimum of 1.8 ohms at around 92Hz. At least on paper, this is a tougher load calling for either a beefier high-current SS amp or powerful valve amplification.

However, that being said, from what I heard in Dan D'Agostino's room at CES 2012, the Momentum stereo amp was effortlessly driving/manhandling the Sasha W/P's displaying terrific grip & control coupled with a huge and very full bodied soundstage. In addition, I was impressed with the absolute consistency in the overall musical presentation whether at low or ridiculously high volumes - being me, with a wicked grin, I asked Dan if I could crank up the volume big time, and I think the next time round, he's going to hide the remote from me!

Truth be told, after hearing the just launched Momentum stereo amp, if I had initiated my amp search today instead of almost a year-and-a-half ago, I would probably be having a tougher time deciding between the Momentum monoblock and the stereo amps given the price difference as well as knowing that I could always upgrade the stereo amp to mono operation at any later point in time thereby lessening the initial wallop on my wallet. Then again, I have always been a sucker for monoblock amps!

In any event, will be eagerly awaiting your impressions once you manage to demo the Momentum stereo amp with your MAXX 3's.

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 02-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.