Thread: Accuphase DC-37
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
I am now using the DG-58 directly connected to the power amplifier via XLR.

Aside from the fact that if you want to change level on the DG-58 you have to navigate in the menu (also possible to do by remote if you have 20/20 eyesight ), is working perfectly fine. It has enough voltage and correct impedance to easily drive a power amp and the DAC section is very good
The DG-58 DAC section is practically the same as the DP-720.

Quote:
As nvp as said in another tread, with correct source and a transparent power amplifier sometimes preampless way is somewhat better if the preamp is not really über top (à la nvp 3800 ).
Now, I really don't know exactly how one quantifies/measures this power amp "transparency", but if it's a mix of THD, Damping and SNR, then my old P-700 should do the trick and I can skip a preamp, even if a 2420 or 2820 would be A) Beautiful B) much better for volume control friendliness.
It's digital volume control (DG-58) vs. analog volume control (preamps with AAVA).

IMO transparency can only be 'measured' by ear, though SNR, THD, damping factor, slew rate (response to an impulse) etc. do play their role, there is no guarantee that good technical data automatically mean good sound.

The sonic footprint of a decent power amp is usually less prominent than that of other components like SACD/CD drive, DAC or especially preamp.

Quote:
Then again, I think that the changes that the DG-58 can apply on the audio signal (and make it better) are at least an order of magnitude more noticeable to human ears than the presence or not of a preamplifier or the differences between two very good DACS or the difference between two good power amps at the same level. Just my humble opinion.
Fully agreed especially since you use DG-58 and passive elements together.

Martin