View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Are Sonus Faber speakers "Hi-End"?

Prompted my a comment Mr. McGowen of PS Audio made in a video, I reached out to him & received this response. I am re-posting it here because it was in a public forum & not a private conversation.

bugeyed December 13, 2018 at 10:12 am #

Hi Paul,
I’m really surprised at your comments about Sonus Faber speakers. They are beautiful & many sound great. I have the original Cremona & they are wonderful sounding speakers. I have heard you make several comments about other manufacturers (B&W) & this leads me to believe that you have not heard these brands well represented with proper setup & such.
Regards,
Kev

Paul McGowan December 14, 2018 at 6:28 am #
"Sonus Fabers are indeed beautiful and I made sure when my son wanted a new pair of speakers for his home he bought those. But, that doesn’t mean they are what I would think of as reference quality or highly revealing – which may or may not be for everyone. Yes, they are musical and yes they are pleasant to listen to, but they are not what I consider high-end.

B and W speakers and I go way back and I have never been a fan. Their tweeter and voicing are too far forward and aggressive for my tastes."