View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
I was just yanking your crank!

They look very good. Did you laminate a few pieces together to make the "block" shape?

How many risers did you have to make?

No, I didn't laminate the blocks. They are solid. The cherry I bought was 1-3/4 thick before planed smooth. Finished thickness is 1-5/8". I got it to make some table legs. In my area we have a place that sells hardwood of all kinds. Finding thick stock isn't too hard. However if you are working with 1x's I see no problem with gluing 2 together. That would give you 1-1/2" material.

I made 6 risers for the I/Cs. They are about 18-20" apart, more or less. That will depend on how stiff your cables are. My I/Cs are pretty flexible and are pretty heavy also. I did some initial measuring using a 2x4 laid on its side to determine about how far apart they needed to be. Then, before I put away the tools, I did a dry fit to see if I made enough. Once I had the router set up, making one more was quick work. The time is in set up and then the finishing.

I bought the Sorbothane pad on Amazon. It has an adhesive on one side so you just peel and stick. I cut it to fit with a utility knife. If you use Sorbothane, do not leave a Sorbothane surface next to your wood floors. It is sticky stuff, and over time it will adhere to your floor. The Sorbothane is overkill I suspect. Some of the claims for cable risers include vibration control. So, I figured I would add in an isolation mat. It was the only thing I had to buy.

Good luck with your project. We will expect pics.