Thread: CT5 versus ET5?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hmmm...not sure I'd want a cryo'd 6H30....might make the sound too "hard". Had this problem on some tubes for the Premier 17.

Though, cryo-treating some Mullard CV4003s for my PV-12 did wonders for them. I think it's really tube dependent.
Chryo did not work for me in the input or drivers positions of the pr 12 but did on the power tubes.To me the pr 12 was toooo soft with 6550s and the chryo kt 120s really worked compared to non chryoed 120s and 6550s. In the lp275 both the 6550s and chryo kt 120s were different types of real good synergy with no clear winner. (chryo tubes worked well in my preamp and phono). Where it did not work it was hard and unattractive. The ct 5 is a little harder/faster(which i liked) than the act 2.2 in my experience with regular tubes; causing the act to benefit from a little less warmth and softness and be a little more like a ct 5. I want a tube pre that can do delicate female vocals and then do well with some red chili peppers also-equally well. It is nice that such good sized differences can be experimented with for such little $$$. Solid State owners wish they could make these types of customizations. You dont know till you try

Last edited by rlw3; 11-13-2013 at 12:56 PM.