Thread: CT5 versus ET5?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post
Oh no, what have I done. :-). I would get professional advice before touching anything unnecessarily. as I had parts that were faulty I may have been living with sub standard sound prior to the failure. Maybe the fix only brought my CT5 up to spec. The new parts were apparently better quality but beyond that I can only give lay mans advice.

All I know is that in my case the preamp would go through its start up process with the delay and everything but that the power light remained off. Based on the posts above that would confirm that it wasn't the diodes in the logic circuits ( that could not impact sound) as they were working while the unit was broken.

I have one of the dead diodes and it says RHRP860. Then N3 13. A big F. Then AB. It's an odd shape with a metal bit on top with a round hole in it.
That's great advise. I would definitely not start to tear any audio gear apart unless you REALLY know what you are doing!

The RHRP860 diode is the bridge rectifier diode. The best and fastest made today are made by Infineon and they have a recovery time of less than 10ns vs. 30-40ns for the best of the rest.