View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Thanks for the info!

The dealer I consulted also characterized the XP-17 as more 3D, revealing & detailed, but thought it was brighter, less warm, less smooth, and a bit lighter in the lows, giving it a slightly tipped-up balance vs a more even-handed balance in the XP-15.

Did you hear any of these characteristics in your setup? I'm unfamiliar with the sound of Focal speakers.
I would say your dealer is spot on. I wouldn’t say one is better then the other, even though that’s what two Pass dealers told me, but they are just different. Definitely brighter and more forward on the 17 and the 15 seemed more neutral and laid back. I happen to like the more forward sound of the 17. My friend who owned the 15 I tried in my system still preferred the 15, so it’s really just a preference thing.
Hegel P30 preamp : Hegel H20 power amp : Focal Sopra No 1 monitors : Dual JL Audio Fathom 110v2 subs : Lumin D1 streamer with SBooster BOTW power supply : Rega RP8 turntable with Apheta II moving coil cartridge : Lehmann Audio Decade Phono preamp