View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I've had 3 different HD tuners at my residence. The sound quality has widely varied between these 3 tuners but comparing to satellite radio, in my experience, isn't even close. The high frequency "swirling" sound that I've always heard in satellite radio isn't present on HD1 broadcasts, by and large. That sound on satellite radio literally makes me uncomfortable.

My issue with HD tuners has been how unforgiving they sound. The little Sony was very round sounding but had a higher noise floor than the HD tuner implemented in the Marantz AV8802A processor that I currently use and enjoy, and would think is as good as HD radio can sound..
Thanks, rnrmf1971 -- That's quite helpful. I have yet to hear good (that is, single-channel) HD in a quiet background on a good system. Sirius/XM, on the other hand, exhibits serious artifacts even in the car. I notice particularly on solo violins, and sometimes on solo piano, a high-frequency noise band that appears over the higher notes but that doesn't vary in frequency with the pitch of the notes -- some kind of peculiar processing artifact that, as you say, is quite unpleasant. I would not expect HD to sound that bad, based on the better codec they appear to be using, but the proof is in the listening... -- Clark2