View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Clark, you asked about some of the specific artifacts HD radio produces and how it falls short.

From my listening with a Sony XDR-F1HD forced to analog only (no blend) vs HD1:

1. HD1 was unable to accurately reproduce massed strings on MPR 99.5 KSJN classical concerts.

2. On MPR A Prairie Home Companion I was unable to tell the difference between a new Martin guitar and a 50 y.o. Martin guitar both played by the company’s president. Both guitars sounded the same. On the analog main carrier the difference was clearly audible and I had a preference for the sound of the older guitar.

3. On HD1 I was unable to hear the hall sound on familiar classical recordings where it was clearly audible on the analog main carrier.

I sold the Sony XDR-F1HD and never looked back. HD radio is not a Hi-Fi medium.

HD radio is also the Camel’s nose under the tent in that Ibiquity has proposed an all-digital future with no analog main carrier - effectively obsoleting all of our analog tuners and removing the only hi-fi radio alternative we have.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v