View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
Closed headphones? I have owned and auditioned the Audeze LCD-XC, Fostex TH900, Denon D5000 and D7000, McIntosh MHP1000, JVC DX1000, Ultrasone Edition 7 and 8, Audio Technica W5000, and the Sony CD3000 and MDR-R10. You could say that I prefer closed headphones! The R10 (discontinued) is in a league all to its own. Never heard anything quite like them. The MHP1000's ($2000) are very easy to drive. A good amp will make them sound better, but not absolutely needed. Wonderful sound, detail-oriented. My current reference. The LCD-XC's ($1795) are best with a good amp. Also very nice sound, warmth-oriented. The CD3000's (discontinued) are my all-time fave rock headphone. Warmer sound signature, GREAT bass. Sort-of like a poor man's R10. The JVC's are around $725. Also terrific bass and very efficient, so no dedicated amp needed. A bit colored in the midrange...after a while you get used to the coloration and the headphone is quite addictive. Audio Technica makes a few different closed headphones. All more detail oriented. Bass was a bit lightweight on all that I tried or owned. Easy to drive. Some are quite beautiful with very nice wooden ear cups. Also very comfortable. The Fostex ($1050) was nice, easy to drive, and looked good. Very comfortable. A little bright for my tastes, but I can see why they are popular as they are a "fun" headphone. There are many more out there so I am only scratching the surface. Really depends upon your price range, where you will be using them and the style of music you enjoy. BTW, I have also dealt with a lot of dealers, and TTVJ Audio has a number of headphones in stock that Todd could send to you to audition before you buy. Also can be said for The Cable Company and their headphone library. Something to consider.
Thanks for your input. I was looking for a hi-end performer that could travel. The Audeze El8s were the strongest consideration to date, as the mrspeakers alpha dogs seem to be better suited for home only use. Not sure if open back or closed quite yet, but the El8s offer both options.