View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Charles,
I just sold my Audioquest Fire XLRs. I'm looking into Audioquest WBY, WEL, or Wireworld Platinum series 8. Did you go from WBY to WELs? If so, please describe the differences in your system.
Wow, that's some self control! Man, I couldn't sell my good cables until I already had the new ones in hand, haha. What are you looking for beyond the Fire? Did you get to demo the Wild/WEL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ricjor1, I went from KK copper to Wels, 24' balanced. Most difficult thing I ever did financially regarding high end audio. It was awful. I went with Wel speaker cables and it seemed natural to go with the Wel IC's but the expense still makes my head swim. I have been very pleased with the Wel's. If you can afford it, go with the Wels. Also, RH of TAS is very high on Wel IC's and uses them in his personal system. I wish that I could say go with the WBY's but there is something special about Wel's.
Holy cow, 24'?? That is a lot. I imagine the difference above lesser cables should be magnified on such a long run. As for the Wild (v1 in my case), the warmth worked well for my system for a while. Now that the WEL's (latest version in this case) neutrality works great for my system, sure there's no going back. However for a time I was toying with the idea of selling the WELs to use the fund for something else - those impulses are gone now!

Also of note, the differences between Fire/Wild/WEL become much less apparent on my high-end headphone setup (about the best you can get there: Stax 009 + T2 amp). High-end speakers really bring the differences out, especially in spatial information.