Thread: iPod ?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
You can use all your own files, ripped from your own discs. That’s what I’ve done.
Basically, you load your PCM based files (I forget if flac was added to the list) through the iTunes application, and sync your iPod or iPhone to the computer that is running iTunes and has the files.

You can rip either compressed with quite respectable sound quality or uncompressed with no quality loss.

Also, you don’t have to use iTunes to rip. You can use dbpoweramp, among many, to get bit perfect rips. Then drag the rips into the iTunes app’s library.

For DSD files, the Onkyo app has a special helper tool to facilitate getting those files onto your device. iTunes won’t handle DSD.

Someone above mentioned the default dac resolutions that iPod and iPhone support and I believe that’s the case using the Music app (what iTunes was renamed on iDevices). But the Onkyo player, among others will play back hi res files at their native resolutions that you load into the Music app. So in that case you wouldn’t need any other accessories if you want to keep it real simple, without the need for an external dac. DSD files do get converted to PCM by the Onkyo player, however. I haven’t tried playing DSD files so I can’t vouch for how that sounds but the PCM upsampling options in the Onkyo app aren’t too bad and come in handy based on the headphones or system you listen through.

Check out this good article:
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-...-your-iphone-0

Another option besides the iPod Touch, if you want higher capacities of 256 and 512GB, might be to look at a used iPhone, and not activate it - basically use it only with WiFi, like an iPod Touch. I think that would work.

Oh, I keep mentioning the Onkyo app and it’s worth noting that you don’t do anything special to have this app access your music files on your device. The Onkyo app sees the music files in the Music app of your device, and you search, sort, and play the files as if they were natively in the Onkyo app.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables