View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
You're comparing "apples to oranges". You old LP12 probably does not have a Cirkus Bearing - this is standard on all new LP12's. Your old LP12 has a inferior and old tonearm and it's sporting a MM pickup vs a MC pickup that your new one does.
Update your old LP12 base to current spec, add a Akito/Pro-Ject 9cc tonearm, and a Lyra Argo i ,and then do a A/B. If you get the Majik LP12 just add a MC pickup then do a A/B. I think that you'll be quite surprised.
You also mentioned the LP12 SE- that's Linn's current reference TT so again you'll be comparing "apples to oranges" if you were to A/B your new Clearaudio budget TT against the Linn reference model. Not many TT's in the world even come close to the level of performance that Linn LP12 SE does. Just my opinion.
Hi,

I would not qualify the Clearaudio as a "budget TT" (even if I know some TT's retail for 150000 euros including the Big Verdier, made just 3 miles from where I live). 5600 euros is still some money, at least according to my wife !
Yes you're right on the "older design" of my LP12, and also the fact I 'm comparing apples and oranges.
But let me add these points :
- Many LP12 afficionados did not take the upgrade path of the Cirkus, Lingo etc... because they think that the improvements are not so high compared to the price paid. Moreover some " improvements" are absolutely bad. The Trampoline for example gives poorer results compared to no base at all and having the plinth put on solid supports. In Asia, many audiophiles use ebony cubes to put the plinth on.
- I know my old LP12 could have been outperformed by a Majik LP12 but I doubt it. The guy who bought my LP12 listened to the Majik before and did not find it better than my "old" LP12.
- The Basik LP12 or Majik current LP12 are wonderful tables. It is certainly one of the best TT you can find when you talk of listening pleasure. The LP12 has a very particular warm and charming sound who made its success. I loved mine. It is no comparable to any other TT. But the LP12 is also known to be less dynamic compared to other TTs and the bass is not the more detailed and deep around.
- Talking about the fully loaded LP12 SE : I know it very well. I knew it with the Lingo II and Linto and now I listened to it for more than 10 hours with the new Radikal and Urika : my best friend has it. So it was on my buying list. Untill I listened to the Clearaudio.
The LP12 SE ( Keel, Ekos SE, Akiva, Radikal, Urika ) is certainly one if not the best TT in the world. But the difference in sound with the Clearaudio is not large to my ears. That's all I stated.

Cheers,

Last edited by Jerome W; 08-19-2009 at 04:43 PM.