View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Paul - great question with 1,000,000 different answers!

I would seek to understand what’s missing in your digital rig compared to your analog one.

The Cadenza Black is a fine cartridge - Shibata stylus, boron cantilever, Ortofon magnetics. Very detailed without being harsh. Great dynamics. Fine TT and arm to go with it.

So what’s up with your BDA-3 and/or Oppo 205? In what ways are they lacking? Is it dynamics and drive? Not natural sounding?

In digital playback everything matters, so some info on your cabling, power, etc would be very helpful.

I’ve gone through half a dozen DACs to find what I like. The best analogy I can come up with is that DAC’s are like Phono Cartridges - they each have a unique sonic character and you just have to find one you like.

Tom
Hi Tom....my findings are I just enjoy listening to my analog front end over my digital. The analog is definitely more natural and involving. I know my analog setup costs over 3 times more than my digital.

So what I really want to know is do I have to spend as much on my digital setup as I have for my analog to bring them both on a level playing field?

I’ve been listening mostly to digital out of pure convenience but when I move to listening to LP’s I wonder why I ever listen to digital. Maybe vinyl setup is just better than digital or that I need to spend mega bucks to better it or that I’ve just grew up listening to vinyl and that’s what I’m used to.

Also....thanks to all for the replies. Some very good points.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.