View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 11:12 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post
i'm guessing for two channel music you'd run your Wilsons full range in pure stereo ........ But out of curiosity for Home Theater what frequency do you cross over to your sub on your model Wilson Speaker

On my Revel Salon 2 and Voice 2 center I cross the center at 80 Hz (THX Level) and my mains at 40 Hz
Before I added the "stereo" subs and active cross-over, I ran my Sophia 2s as full range (large) from my pre-amp, but as small (crossed at 80H) in my separate surround processor. I could do that because my pre-amp had a separate port for the surround processor input that I set for unity gain.

Now with the active cross-over and "stereo" subs, I tell my surround processor that the mains are large, but I cross the center and the other four channels at 80 H. As I mentioned before, I use a third sub for the "redirected bass" and LFE duties.

The best method depends upon what gear you have. I acquired my Bryston SP3 after I already had a high quality pre-amp. But if I had decided to use it as both pre-amp and surround processor I could have taken advantage of its ability to set the mains as large on one port and small on another port. Another example of gear versatility is REL. With a Rel G series sub there are internal controls that allow the sub to act in different ways on different uses.

One side note: With the Bryston 10B-SUB's versatile slope and filter controls I cross my Sophias at 50 H. But when using a surround processor without those slope controls, crossing at 80 H worked best. I suspect the difference is the lack of redirected bass in the active cross-over situation, but being present in the HT application.