View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Semi-audiophile

Not sure what this was.

Last Thursday I was listening to a CD, part of the Time-Life series AM Gold. On some of the songs I heard what sounded like distortion in the bass, and from the right channel only, it seemed. I didn't get up to check that, as I was too busy trying to decide if this was some previously unheard detail or true distortion; I'm still not sure. I wondered if perhaps the right woofer or its cone was having a problem. Listening sessions are so rare for me these days, maybe the supposed "distortion" (a kind of grainy yet detailed fuzziness) is in the recording and not something to be concerned with. Either way, I don't remember hearing it before.

More listening is needed. The other frequencies seemed unaffected, so it may be nothing. If this is a speaker problem, my search would be on, as I decided a while back I would not attempt to have the Mirages repaired should they fail. They're 22 years old and counting; I've gotten my money's worth in spades. My short list is already set: Bryston Model T, Legacy Signature SE, and (despite my reluctance on powered speakers) the Golden Ear Triton One, with perhaps the latest Def Tech Mythos in there also (the most stylish of the bunch insofar as blending into the room goes).

Been too busy to power up the system since Thursday.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks