View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
First, that is likely a room mode. Second, it is not likely to be affected by adjustments in speaker position because standing up changes your listening position, not the speakers'. There are only three logical solutions: (1) Some kind of physical room treatment which is likely to be bulky, (2) DSP room correction or (3) stay seated when listening.
Hello,

I usually am, but if the music is on when I'm in the kitchen cooking, I come into the living room to listen periodically and that's when I hear it. Or if I get up to go to the bathroom or kitchen for something. Maybe I should check this out with the TV as well. The sound system on my plasma is quite good for a flat panel, so I should be able to tell the difference.

I thought about the DSP option, but I'm not sure if I want to go that far.

I mentioned this drop-off to Bill Dudleston at the recent NY Audio show, and while there was no real conversation about it, he mentioned that Legacy does have such things in mind as they design their speakers. Don't know what he was referring to specifically, though. I wonder if Bryston speakers would have less of an issue with this also, as they're supposed to have a good vertical image. Such may not solve the problem but I wonder if it would help any.

See, this is why I'm a semi-hobbyist.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks