View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Default Since I own a pair...

Since I own a pair, and since this thread seems to still be active, I've had my Ethos speakers for 3 years. They're in an approximately 40' x 40' living room area.

I have an elaborate home automation & AV system with lots of components that inevitably exhibit occasional problems (like one VisionArt motor that recently destroyed several thousand dollars of rollup artwork covering a 60" TV). And the Ethos speakers... just work. My home is humidity controlled, but I never worry about the speakers. They're consistent.

I'm a musician, but admit these speakers (unlike my B&W's, etc.) were purchased for aesthetic reasons as well as their sound. They're amazing on vocals, and do well in general with classical, jazz & rock. However, though the 8" woofers sound *very good* with rock music, and rarely fatigue my ears, if you have an excellent recording that emphasizes bass & drum parts (e.g. Rush), you might find yourself wishing for a larger bass sound. Regardless, everyone who has heard them seems to love them, and as a side-effect, they do seem to jumpstart conversations when we entertain guests who have no concept of electrostatic speakers (which seems to be almost everyone).

Finally, though this may sound ridiculous in an audio forum, they're more difficult to knock over than many floor standing speakers... which may seem a trivial concern until the wrong child or adult gets near them in a non-dedicated listening area. I don't worry about the B&W 803's in my home office. But I'd be afraid to put the B&W's where the Ethos speakers currently sit...