Thread: Ref75se vs 160s
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM

My 75SE and 5SE sounded amazing w/ Sasha 1s. I changed the 75SE for the 160S and the magic disappeared. 3D now mostly 2D. More heft, but less musical. Was better when I replaced Sasha 1 w/ DAW, but something was just lacking. At the local audio salon the DAW/Ref6/160S sounded fabulous. Detailed, high resolution soundstage and accurate timbre of instruments. Illusion of live performance seemed natural and effortless. Was offered to try out a Ref 6SE but was skeptical. I was not prepared for the result. The 6SE totally transformed the music reproduction. Now I was hearing the sound that drove me to spend a small fortune! My 75SE and 5SE are now in my second system driving my SF Amati Homages. Perhaps it is a generational synergy with ARC? The Ref5Se/75SE is a wonderful combination and I was not about to let go of either. But the newest ARC gear seems to have been substantially revised to provide an even larger and more forward soundstage with greater resolution of instrument characteristics. We have all had that audiophile moment when we are taken aback and say to ourselves, wow that really sounds live! I don’t have the reviewer’s vocabulary or gift of hyperbole to say it another way. I have owned ARC gear for 40yrs (SP6/D52B) and I have always been extremely satisfied. ARC is not highest end in cost or performance, but they are consistent and they have endured. As prices spiral upward ARC remains a good value. Most likely the Phono 3SE will be replacing my 2SE in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6C2546A3-82D8-43E8-9FE3-BBE88EC6D0DF.jpeg (1.71 MB, 82 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.

Last edited by djcxxx; 03-26-2020 at 10:06 AM.