View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant

+100% on Darrin's thoughts. I auditioned both on same gear (no subs tho) and the 3.7s had it on correct weight on the left hand of the piano, bigger scale, more authority and even a shade more transparent and overall more compelling musical experience... more real.

The 3.7s are going to be hard to trade up for 20.7s as they certainly aren't the limiting factor in my system... since you're giving your 1.7's such great bottom end support with the JL subs it's hard to be sure total gain but I can guess that you might be able to cross them a touch lower and that might just make it a singularly more coherent, fleshier and possibly even bigger soundstage... I reckon the 3.7s are well and truly worth the price difference over the 1.7s as they are.

A well cared for well run in second hand set 3.7s would be great since they seriously are just getting on song at 600 hrs (and also speaker stands, good fuses and jumpers make the world of difference IMO). Could keep the 1.7s as rears if you wanted an amazing HT set-up in the future as well. Best wishes with it either way.

Graham
"....you might be able to cross them a touch lower and that might just make it a singularly more coherent, fleshier and possibly even bigger soundstage..."

Well stated Graham!