View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
First congrats on doing the subs the right way (two jl110s). That is sweet. I auditioned both 1.7 and 3.7 at my Magnepan dealer. Both had the fast transparent wall of sound that I have failed to hear in any box speaker. My ears are very sensitive to sharp etchy balance of tone. I tend to like rich midrange as the center of gravity. The 1.7s sounded too lean and bright to my ears demoed in the dealers system (1st with Mcintosh and then Ayre gear). The 3.7s have a center of gravity at a lower register than the 1.7s in my opinion so they struck me as more balanced, warmer, richer and dynamic. Same house sound of big transparency and speed and open sound field. I mate a Velodyne dd15+ sub and that adds more growl. With your JL110s paired in that might have made feel the same way about them as I did with the 3.7s. I am super happy with 3.7s and struggle to decide whether to trade up to 20.7s. For folks like us if the 1.7 or 3.7s are great there is logic in staying put and funneling $$ into music.

I am likely going to trade up to 20.7s so will have an almost broken in pair of 3.7s in perfect condition (4 mos old) for sale at discount off retail.

Darrin
+100% on Darrin's thoughts. I auditioned both on same gear (no subs tho) and the 3.7s had it on correct weight on the left hand of the piano, bigger scale, more authority and even a shade more transparent and overall more compelling musical experience... more real.

The 3.7s are going to be hard to trade up for 20.7s as they certainly aren't the limiting factor in my system... since you're giving your 1.7's such great bottom end support with the JL subs it's hard to be sure total gain but I can guess that you might be able to cross them a touch lower and that might just make it a singularly more coherent, fleshier and possibly even bigger soundstage... I reckon the 3.7s are well and truly worth the price difference over the 1.7s as they are.

A well cared for well run in second hand set 3.7s would be great since they seriously are just getting on song at 600 hrs (and also speaker stands, good fuses and jumpers make the world of difference IMO). Could keep the 1.7s as rears if you wanted an amazing HT set-up in the future as well. Best wishes with it either way.

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 01-30-2012 at 07:42 AM.