View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
What if you take current state of the art Solid State and compare it to current state of the art Tube gear? The DartZeel SS stuff sounds pretty darn good ... wish I could afford it! LOL

That said I agree that budget tube gear generally blows away budget SS gear.

George
I've owned solid state that never once made me think of tubes. D'Agostino Momentum Monos. They had everything I was looking for with Wilson Alexia speakers. Liquid midrange, harmonically rich, tonally well balanced with proper weight as well as extended on both ends of the spectrum without any solid state negative traits that were apparent. Of course their cost was also let's say appropriate for performance, as far as audio goes.

What's a state of the art tube amp? Price wise the AudioNote/Kondo at over $200k for a very limited amp is perhaps state of the art and with appropriate speakers, I would imagine it does sound magical.

There are monstrous tube amps as well, for various purposes and large speakers like the VTL Siegfried monos. Tetrode: 650W, Triode 330W.

Hard to say, at the end of the day it still boils down to personal preference and the presentation that connects better with your ears.

There is no standard or frame of reference or a universal gauge of what is right, what is wrong. Just our ears and the music.