View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
You can definitely use too much absorption - kills the room. Anything over about 20% of the surface area (don't forget to include the floor and carpet) being "absorptive" will usually be overly damped. Treatments outside of the primary reflection points in front of the speakers should be diffusive if possible. Small 1' by 1' panels (like the Burton Acoustix superdense) can be handy to keep absorptive areas minimal but effective.

I’ve lived that conclusion. I was going to build more panels (without diffusion) but when I leaned spare insulation panels at the locations, I didn’t like the sound. So I started buying the panels with diffusion a few at a time. Each addition added more dimension/detail, lowered the noise and smoothed out the measurements. Sound stage got bigger when I put the ones around the screen. So absolutely go slow.

I’ve got a lot of glass, hardwood floors, kitchen surfaces, and a long narrow room. Use to have a MEN220, which did lots for base and low mids but not the upper mids and highs in my hell room. I decided with the treatment I preferred not having the DS DAC of the MEN220 in the path and traded it in on another toy.