View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Or room EQ.
Kal I am not sure what you mean by room EQ. My room is identical set up to before. My room is quite large 24 by 25 with 18 foot tall ceilings in which the 802D2's had more mid bass bloom.

I believe this maybe just the way the speaker is balanced. When you look at the frequency response curves the previous generation 802D2 it extended deeper and had a more pronounced low bass hump.

Like you had stated and JA confirmed, the bass is definitely on the overdamped side and is "free from underdamped boom". I also noticed in JA measurement the output from the flowport is significantly down in level versus the previous generation at the tuning frequency. This is most likely why the speaker is lighter balanced in this area.

I definitely agree I hear more definition in the bass and I believe the bass is probably more true to reality, but at present, I miss a bit of the mid bass bloom of the old D2. That is why I was asking about the possibility of this changing with additional break in time.

I have a Classe CA2300 amplifier and maybe that is one area I should experiment with as you mentioned the McIntosh leaned more toward the power.

Kal do you feel the bass on the new D3 goes as deep as the old D2 in your room? That may not be a fair question as you have the 800D2 and that should definitely have more bass output.

Overall I do love the speaker, it is just voiced completely different than the old D2 and I am adjusting to the new sound.