View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Modern subs have digital electronic crossovers that add approximately 10 mSec of delay by themselves.
Does that mean that the high-pass out from the sub (in the speaker-level connection outlined above) would experience a similar cross-over delay (which might tend to moderate the relative delay between sub and mains)?

And would the digital hocus-pocus in the sub's cross-over then compromise the fidelity of the highs going on to the mains (sampling rate and/or resolution insufficiency that wouldn't affect the low base)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
The rest of the delay is simply due to the acoustic response of the sub itself.

This delay is relative to the electronic signal that drives them.

You are correct in that like for like a big sealed woofer in a floorstanding speaker would have the same group delay as a sub that was designed identically.

However most subs are designed to go much lower in frequency than the woofers in a floorstander, so they generate more delay.

Make sense?
Yep, sure does. Thanks a lot for the clarification!

I guess there's not much I can do about it, without spending lots more $$, short of putting the sub under my listening chair (not really practical in the same speaker-level wiring scheme). -- Clark2