View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
What would be a good telescope to get where I could see the planets ie Jupiter's stripes Saturn's rings ? And about how much should I pay for this? Craig's list is an option.
Doug,
Small and simple is better than big and complex for your first telescope. Even a 3" instrument will give you beautiful views of the planets, the moon, and some galaxies and nebulae. There are lots of big telescopes that don't get used much because they are heavy and hard to set up in the dark.

Craigslist is your friend. I did a search of CL in Detroit:
Meade ETX-90 $275 - a great choice for a first scope. Very portable. You will be able to clearly see Saturn's rings and the spaces between some of them, and the bands on Jupiter. The moon will be awesome. These are about $400 new.

Moving up the chain, there is a Meade Starfinder 6" scope for make offer. Much larger, better image quality, but much heavier and more difficult to transport.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v