View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Rather than write a lengthy post I'll suggest you take a look at some telescope buying guides if you haven't already. A Google search returned Telescope Buying Guide Part 1: What You Must Know First and Telescope Buying Guide for New Astronomers Either of these should give you a good idea of the different types, sizes and features of telescopes.
My interest in astronomy began when I was about 7 years old. My first telescope was a small refractor. I had some fun with it but was often frustrated that I couldn't find things in the sky (because of a small field of view?). Quite a few years later I got a slightly larger and nicer refractor which was easier to use. I exhausted it's viewing capabilities in couple years though because I became interested in viewing deep space objects. A few years ago I got a 135mm Dobsonian, which I'm still using. I've reached it's limits though. My next telescope is probably going to be an Apertura AD10.
So, the lessons from my history:
1. The cheaper telescopes may frustrate you, but you'll find out if you are interested enough to continue advancing in astronomy.
2. Once you've seen some of the basics in the night sky, you'll find out what type of telescope will suit you're viewing needs (Some people just view the moon, some like viewing planets and double stars, others hunt for deep space objects).