View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM

Ahh, got it.

I own a P02-X (Esoteric's transport) which is connected via dual HDMI to my DAC. Same level of cabling (platinum starlight) as the W20 which is connected via dual AES/EBU.

My P02-x has about 200 hours of break in time so it's still opening up. I think where the P02X really shines is when I play SACD's. Playing the same DSD file on the W20 vs the SACD version is what i'm referring too. I find the low end to be cleaner and tighter with the P02x, and the mids are a little bit more smooth. There is more air around instruments and the music comes to life more.

Redbook CD's played on the transport sound quite similar to the same burned file on the W20. If you blind tested with me with both of these-I guarantee I could not tell the difference. I'm sure others might be able too.

The differences come much more apparent when I play the album on the transport and then stream the same thing on tidal on the W20. The difference here can be distinguished and is a stepup with the transport.

Overall, the P02-x wins out. You may ask, why do I own both? Good question. I have the W20 for everyday listening. I try new stuff out on the W20. When I find a really good recording, I buy the physical media (whether it be the CD/SACD/Vinyl), because I want to hear everything on that recording! I never want to own more than 500 CD's and no more than 500 LP's. The ones I do own however should be the best of best in terms of sound.

Note the P02-X has Esoteric's top of the line transport and has its own power supply, and that's why I consider it to have the edge as I described above.

Above all, when you get to this level of gear, the differences between one thing and the next are personal preference. A difference to me may not be a difference to you or the other way around.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. One thing is for sure, you will not be disappointed with the N10 or W20.
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)