View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 08:59 AM

Default With Patience, Integrating Subs is Worth the Time & Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
The most optimal solution in my opinion is to get full range speakers and ditch the subs. Where possible, ymmv, etc.
I have used subs now for about 20 years, and each time I have integrated them into my (music audio) system, it's created a lot of frustration, to get the system to "sound just right".

This last time, integrating a pair of F113V2's with a pair of Focal Sopra No2's was one of the most frustrating things I've encountered with this hobby.

Before the subs arrived, I spent the time and got the Sopra's positioned to get the most from them, had that "performer in the room" presentation. The bass that the Sopra's have is very good, but they don't go nearly as deep as any decent sub woofer. But my "man cave" had terrible acoustics in the low bass region; when a bass player was moving up and down the registers, the room added one tone, regardless of what the bass player was playing. It took me a lot of struggle, moving the subs around, and eventually buying a calibration microphone to use with REW to position 10 bass traps, to control the room's resonances. Eventually I got it "just right".

I have an audio buddy who doesn't believe in subs, came over and asked if the subs were playing, to him, it didn't sound like I had subs connected...until I turned off the preamp output to the subs. I think I may have converted his lifelong opinion on adding subs.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling