View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
My speakers are Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grands, weighing in at around 72 pounds per speaker, and on a rather uneven, wood floor. Let's say I wanted to go overboard and consider using Ultra 5's on my speakers as well as the options that the Ultra SS offer.
If I'm not mistaken, all of the following examples are options except the last one because Stillpoints does not make an adapter for the Ultra 5 in this orientation.
Am I correct?
Anyone care to suggest what might work best and why?
What works best is ultimately confirmed by trying and listening. That said...

Within the UltraSS series, from your photos, I'll say the 3rd photo with or without the spike may work best. The idea being to have the "technology pockets" where the vibration mitigation takes place closest to the component. That would be the tapered end of the UltraSS. As your pictures show, you can unscrew the 'hat' from the tapered end, screw the unit into the component and either put the hat or a spike on the wide end. This applies only if you are threading the UltraSS onto an adapter attached to the component. The spikes are new enough that user feedback is just starting to trickle in - at least from what I've read. At this point, imo, the spikes are for an UltraSS on carpet, and only if needed and if four units are in play, it would have to be an awfully thick carpet to create instability of a speaker. But hey, ymmv.

Without the threaded adapter you want the component sitting on the 'hat' with at least a credit card's width of space between the hat and the main UltraSS body.

Unless you need the base for the extra stability that its width brings, be sure to try the UltraSS without it.

edit: Looks like attached photos are not included in a quote. The reference is to rnrmf1971's post, not the photos immediately above.

Last edited by tima; 06-03-2015 at 01:04 AM.