View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I purchased my first set of B&W speakers new in 1987. B&W Matrix 3 series 1
After many years of enjoying them, I lost a tweeter, I got hold of B&W to purchase a new one, guess what no replacement tweeters available as they had changed to the series 2 and the tweeter was the biggest difference between the series 1 and series 2.
So I gave them away and purchased a set of Paradigm and then Kef 104-2, next up was Caver Amazing (great speaker room too small) and then back to B&W with B&W 703
The only reason I purchase the 703 new is I liked the B&W house sound.

So one night after a great listing experience with my wife and a couple of bottles of red wine, I mentioned to my wife I really would love a set of B&W 802D.
To my surprise she told me it was Ok to get a set. The next morning I called our local dealer, he has a set in Rosewood in stock, before my wife came home from work they were in the house.
So after living with the 802D it was time for a change, as I knew from day one thay where too big for my room, the bass was boomy but I would not admit that to my wife.
I also found it was very easy to take out one one (or two) the diamond tweeters, a little too much power and they were gone at over $1200.00 each to replace them, it was getting costly.
At the time I was running a pair of Carver Silver Seven tube amps 550 wps per channel.
I sold the 802D, and started to look at another speaker, Wilson Sabra, Focal Sopra 2 and a couple of other brands.
While I was in one store listing to a set of speakers, I made a big mistake, I listened to the new B&W 803D3 I took them home the same day!

Brian
Ottawa, Canada.

I went through THREE tweeters on a pair of 800D2 speakers, which made me decide it was time to move on after B&W told me (despite only being 18 months old, and driving them with Classe CA-M600 monoblocks sold to me from the same dealer) that they wouldn’t replace any more tweeters for me under warranty. It was at the same volume I’ve listened to my whole life. Those speakers were really fun, though not the last word in accuracy as the tweeter was a bit “hot” ... still great for rock and electronic music.