View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bairdg View Post
First post here. I have experience that folks following this thread may find to be of interest.

I recently replaced an Esoteric D02/P02/G01 stack with an Esoteric K1X/PS1/Cybershaft OP21A/Ultra Pure PS setup. Before selling the G01, I tried using it with the K1X and found that whereas the G01 was necessary for the D02/P02 to sound highly resolving and musical (rather than fairly resolving and a touch too analytical, which they did without the clock), it did not provide the K1X with a clear improvement. Indeed, I slightly preferred the K1X without the G01, although my wife (a jazz vocalist with an excellent ear) slightly preferred it with the G01. By contrast, the Cybershaft clock and it’s PS made a dramatic improvement to the sound of the K1X, which already sounded streets ahead of the older stack. This improvement was in the nature of greatly enhanced spatial resolution and transparency. It was more impactful than the addition of the Esoteric PS1, which I would characterize as being akin to going from a great stereo amp to a pair of monoblocks based on the same circuit design (larger soundstage and better low end and a more relaxed sound).

Further, adding the G01 to control my DCS Network Bridge as a Word Clock generator while slaved to the Cybershaft added no noticeable improvement as compared to not having the G01 in the system. I appreciate that the G01 is not the latest offering from Esoteric, but it is the data point that I have.

Clock cables are Shunyata Sigma v1. Looking forward to getting the v2 version :-). Other equipment includes a Baetis Ref server (soon to be replaced by a Taiko SGM Extreme), Spectral DMC 30SV pre/DMA 500 AR mono amps, MIT SHD interconnects and speaker cable and Magico M Project speakers. Happy to respond to questions about the above report and hope it is helpful.
Welcome and thank you for this post, it's very interesting
I think there are not many of us who have a K1X here.

How would you qualify the contribution of the PS1 on the K1X, indispensable or not?
And to choose, is it better to invest in a clock or in the PS1?