View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustycat View Post
with all due respect, cooking that way is more complicated than the newer "parrillero" style, which accomplishes very similar results.
It's great to meet you! Remind me to tell you my family ties to Argentina and my love for both Argentina and Uruguay....

Yes it is more complicated and time-consuming (asador criollo) and parrillero accomplishes very similar and delicious results for the vast majority of meats, vegetables, seafood and the cuts of the above.

For certain primal cuts like "vaca entero", (full) asado racks, (full) vacio primal cuts, lechon and cerdo "entero", there is nothing quite like the ultra slow and indirect method of asador criollo (in my humble opinion). It develops a flavor penetration and tenderness profile from the outer sinew, fat/overall casing of the primal cuts that has no equal (again, in my humble opinion) on the 'big' cuts. For lechon and cerdo though, it is a toss-up (IMHO) often times as if the parrillero is done right and patiently with very low heat, the rewards are very large and equal to asador criollo!

And,...yes () this gringo(!) has cooked all these ways (except vaca entero) while in-country over the past few years.

There is something magnificent to me seeing a fully loaded parrillero setup at home or at a large restaurant and as much beauty seeing this;

VacaEnetero.jpg

VacaEntero1.jpg

1024px-Asado_Gral_Pico_1.JPG