View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
The system I was referring have a 30 000 USD MSB and a 30 000 USD turntable - and the latter won IMO. If it's the media it self that performs better or the source it self Im not sure.
But as soon as you get some brass instruments or a cymbal I have fond the vinyl recordings to present a much more realistic sound. Its more bite in the saxophone and trumpet, and more "metall" in the cymbals. But as you say YMMW and that is part of what makes this hobby such an intriguing activity.
In my experience comparing digital and analog sources I have to agree with you (sorry Ivan, but of course this is all subjective!) I've heard digital front ends up to the $100K range but I still find the natural purity of cymbals in particular to be much more realistic with analog playback either via vinyl or reel to reel tape. Also in reproduction of a sense of the recording venue's space and presence, being most easily apparent with well recorded acoustic music. I guess life would be more boring if we all agreed on everything!