View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
The quad rate USB module in my DAC is properly isolated so it does not carry noise over from my macbook. When I was running a lower end DAC (M51), it needed an external SPDIF converter to clean up the signal as well as reclock to remove noise.

I was using a Jkenny MK3 spdif converter for that purpose with excellent results. Without that converter the m51 sounded a bit brittle to my ears.

When I finally got my hands on an MSB DAC I tried it with the Jkenny and it added nothing, unlike the M51. In fact I preferred it without the Jkenny in the chain. At this point I did look into why and learned about the need for usb inputs to be properly isolated along the way as well as how important it is to have it for a good clean (noise free) digital signal from a computer due to the computers inherent noise.

The CA forum documents this stuff really well if you want to learn more. Hope this helps.

Regards

essjay

Thank you essjay, it’s very helpful. I am not familiar with CA forum but eager to learn. Can you please direct me to those documents?