View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 02:11 AM

Default Reviving an old thread

AAF Lounge..... As you may be able to tell, I had some suggestions a couple of years ago, but the same kind of thing has come up again, so I'm hoping that someone might have some fresh thoughts on this...so here goes...

I spent quite a bit of [late night] time with the MX151, changed the speaker size from M to L and did what I could with the menu setup. Afterward, I moved both the MX121 and the MX151 back to our stereo area and placed them on top of our MC300.

As I mentioned before, the ideal is to give both of these very nice MX units a good A/B listening test, but that only worked in theory. You see, in reality, it takes too long to turn off the equipment, disconnect to from the AC line, change the connections and fire everything up again. This being the case, I was thinking about switching equipment.

Are you aware of a brand that makes a "switching box" capable of running an output to one power amp and allowing the operator to switch between preamps (the MX units in this case)? We are testing the MX units for sound via our Oppo 105D, so XLR connections are also a possibility, but, thus far, we've been using simple RCA cabling for our experiment(s).

EDIT: I've looked at the Pyle PSLSW6, but I'm a bit fearful of using it (in the future) with more than one pair of speakers. Not knowing anything about the internals, it looks like one could overload an amp by accidentally reducing the impedance presented to it (8 ohms in parallel with 8 ohms equals a 4 ohm Z). Please note that the Pyle unit I'm writing about here has no independent speakers switches. It seems to be all speakers on or off and nothing else: CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PYLE PSLSW6.

Thank you for your thoughts ~ Bill in the Hills

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections